The Land Conservancy and San Luis Obispo County worked together to restore and revitalize the historic Pereira Octagon Barn, which was on the verge of collapse. Located at the south end of San Luis Obispo, the Pereira Octagon Barn is on the National Register of Historic Places because of its rare, eight-sided structure. Built in 1906 for dairy farming, this beloved and interesting landmark sits at the cusp of rural and residential/commercial properties. The improvements focus on transforming the existing structure and facilities into a functional event center, with storage, restrooms, and museum facilities, as well as a staging ground for a future extension to the Bob Jones Trail. The improvements include widening of South Higuera Street (a heavily trafficked thoroughfare) to accommodate a center-turn lane, a parking lot, and site grading for placement of additional amenities.
Cannon provided construction management services for the implementation of site grading, installation of drainage improvements, relocation of utilities, and installation of site concrete and asphalt paving, which required careful clearing and purposeful enhancement of sensitive habitat. Work included the Cracking/Seating process which helps to minimize the movement of the underlaying pavement by reducing the effective slab length and the seating of the broken concrete pieces. The existing concrete roadway slab was broken using a drop hammer. Seating was then done with a heavily weighted rubber-tire roller. The resulting cracked and seated concrete layer functions as an aggregate base course. This process is frequently used when old concrete pavements are being converted to a flexible pavement system using Hot Mix Asphalt.Back to Service
San Luis Obispo, California